Given (ギヴン, givun?) is an anime adaption based on the manga of the same name written and illustrated by Natsuki Kizu. The anime was produced by Lerche and aired on TV and stream beginning on July 11, 2019 concluding September 19, 2019.
Tightly clutching his Gibson guitar, Mafuyu Sato steps out of his dark apartment to begin another day of his high school life. While taking a nap in a quiet spot on the gymnasium staircase, he has a chance encounter with fellow student Ritsuka Uenoyama, who berates him for letting his guitar's strings rust and break. Noticing Uenoyama's knowledge of the instrument, Sato pleads for him to fix it and to teach him how to play. Uenoyama eventually agrees and invites him to sit in on a jam session with his two band mates: bassist Haruki Nakayama and drummer Akihiko Kaji.
Sato's voice is strikingly beautiful, filling Uenoyama with the determination to make Sato the lead singer of the band. Though reticent at first, Sato takes the offer after an emotional meeting with an old friend. With the support of his new friends, Sato must not only learn how to play guitar, but also come to terms with the mysterious circumstances that led him to be its owner.
- Original Creator: Natsuki Kizu
- Director: Hikaru Yamaguchi
- Script: Yuniko Ayana
- Character Design: Mina Osawa
- Animation Director: Yashuo Tamura
- Art Settings: Tsunato Eiko
- Art Director: Kouhei Honda
- Color Design: Hiroaki Kaguchi
- Director of Photography: Naoki Serizawa
- Editing: Rie Itou
- Sound Director: Hiromi Kituda
- Music: Michiru
- Theme Song Performer: Centimilimental
- Studio: Lerche
- Yuuma Uchida as Ritsuka Uenoyama
- Shougo Yano as Mafuyu Sato
- Masatomo Nakazawa as Haruki Nakayama
- Takuya Eguchi as Akihiko Kaji
- Yuuki Shin as Yuki Yoshida
- Yuu Shimamura as Yayoi Uenoyama
- Shintaro Asanuma as Ugestu Murata
- Fumiya Imai as Hiiragi Kashima
- Taito Ban as Shizusumi Yagi
- Ayaka Asai as Kasai
- Ryouta Takeuchi as Yatake Koji
Main Article: Episodes
- Kizuato 「キヅアト, Scar」by Centimillimental
- Marutsuke 「まるつけ, The Correct Answer」by given
- Given made history as the first-ever BL anime to air on NoitaminA, Fuji TV's anime programming block.
- The anime broadcasting on Fuji TV would air on Thursdays at 24:55 for Episodes 1-8 but was soon changed to Wednesdays.
- The majority of the episode titles are references to British alternative rock songs, Ritsuka's favorite genre of music.
- Episode nine is titled after the original song performed in the episode.
- Mafuyu Sato & Ristuka Uenoyama were nominated for Best Couple 2020 by Crunchyroll.