The anime adaptation of Given was positively received by critics. In a review of episodes one and two for Anime News Network, Steve Jones called the series "one of the season's most emotionally resonant offerings," praising its soundtrack and Yamaguchi's direction. The series' writing, which Jones noted was "undercooked, but not egregiously so" in his initial review, was noted by Jones as improving in subsequent episodes. Specific praise was given to the relationship between Mafuyu and Ritsuka, with Jones calling it "one of the most compelling anime romances of the year."
"One day, Ritsuka Uenoyama meets Mafuyu Sato and his broken guitar at his regular napping spot. Ritsuka desperate to defend his napping spot he decides to repair it, Ritsuka also feels a sense of nostalgia when repairing the guitar. Ritsuka feels like he has no choice but to teach him the guitar, but when he hears Mafuyu’s singing, it pierces his heart. Ritsuka invites Mafuyu into his band and the distance between them changes. However, it seems as if Mafuyu, who can’t express his emotions well, is trapped in his own past."
- Ritsuka Uenoyama - Yuuma Uchida
- Mafuyu Sato - Shougo Yano
- Haruki Nakayama - Masatomo Nakazawa
- Akihiko Kaji - Takuya Eguchi
- Yuki Yoshida - Yuuki Shin
- Yayoi Uenoyama - Shimamura Yū
- Ugestu Murata - Shintarō Asanuma
- Hiiragi Kashima - Fumiya Imai
- Shizusumi Yagi - Taito Ban
- Ryou Ueki - Hirosato Amano
- Shougo Itaya - Kengo Takanashi
- Kasai - Ayaka Asai
- Waka Kurihara - Umeka Shouji
- Tsubaki - Mitsuki Nakae
- Yatake Koji - Ryouta Takeuchi
- Original Creator - Natsuki Kizu
- Director - Hikaru Yamaguchi
- Series Composition - Yuniko Ayana
- Character Design - Mina Oosawa
- Animation Director - Mina Oosawa
- Art Settings - Tsunato Eiko
- Art Director - Honda Kohei
- Color Design - Kaguchi Dairo
- Director of Photography - Serizawa Naoki
- Assistant director of photography - Nakagawa
- Director of CG - Mizuno Tomoya
- Edit - Ito Toshie
- Sound Director - Kikuta Hiromi
- Music - Michiru
- Animation Producer - Higa Yuji & Akita Nobuto
- Production - Given Production Committee
Animation Production Edit
- Lerche Studio
- The TV anime "Given" began broadcasting on Fuji TV "Noitamina" and other stations from 24:55 on July 11, 2019.
Theme Songs Edit
Opening Song Edit
Ending Song Edit
Anime Promotional Images Edit
Anime Awards Edit
- Mafuyu Sato & Ristuka Uenoyama were nominated for Best Couple 2020 by Crunchyroll.
- Given made history as the first-ever BL anime to air on NoitaminA, Fuji TV's anime programming block.
- The anime was first announced at the Fuji TV Anime Press Conference 2019 announced on March 14th.
- The anime broadcasting on Fuji TV would air on Thursdays at 24:55 for Episodes 1-8 but was soon changed to Wednesdays.
- The majority of the episode titles in Given are references to British alternative rock songs, Ritsuka's favorite genre of music. Episode nine is titled after the original song performed in the episode.
- Episode 11 brought the announcement of the Given Movie scheduled to air 2020.